Temple Beth-El is a Reform Congregation in Las Cruces. The desire/need for this congregation began in 1953, when Jewish adults from White Sands Missile Range wanted to create a religious school for their children in Las Cruces (they had been taking them to El Paso for religious school). Other families in the area joined the effort and they created a religious school that met in various locations throughout the city.
From these beginnings, a Sisterhood was formed, and then the community began holding lay-led religious services. Eventually they raised enough funds to build a permanent structure (dedicated in 1962). Eventually, Temple Beth-El affiliated with the Reform Jewish movement and was incorporated in 1968.
In January 2007, our current temple building was completed. Rabbi Larry Karol, began his service with the congregation in 2011. We now have almost 125 member families who come from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds and from many parts of the United States and the world.
We are an active congregation, promoting social well-being and interfaith dialog. We hold various fundraisers throughout the year, including a Jewish Folk and Food Festival, and the Matzo Ball Golf Tournament.
We are a welcoming congregation, providing a wonderful space for Worship, Torah Study, and Community.