The school was founded in 1888 as Las Cruces College, an agricultural college, and in 1889 the school became New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. It received its present name, New Mexico State University in 1960. The NMSU Las Cruces campus had approximately 18,500 students enrolled as of Fall 2012, and had a faculty-to-student ratio of about 1 to 19. NMSU offers a wide range of programs and awards associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees through its main campus and four community colleges. For 10 consecutive years, NMSU has been rated as one of America’s 100 Best College Buys for offering “the very highest quality education at the lowest cost” byInstitutional Research and Evaluation Inc., an independent research and consulting organization for higher education. NMSU is one of only two land-grant institutions classified as Hispanic-serving by the federal government. The university is home to New Mexico’s NASA Space Grant Program and is one of 52 institutions in the United States to be designated a Space Grant College. During its most recent review by NASA, NMSU was one of only 12 space grant programs in the country to receive an excellent rating.